Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 174: First Baseball Game

While I was in Korea, I went to my first baseball game with a few friends. It was surprisingly a lot of fun. Although it wasn't the actual game itself that was fun, but the cheering and chanting which I'll get into later.


 


T
The side we were sitting on was for the LG team. A sea of red. 
 

 
Almost everyone has these big balloon sticks and this one group was carrying a whole box of them. There were quite of few people still in work wear (like above) and came in big groups, so I'm assuming they were on company outings. 


Each team had a some sort of head cheerleader. It seems like the major part of games is the audience participation. Each player has their own song (which were popular songs tweaked to incorporate the respective player) so when they go up to bat, the song is played and the head cheerleader guy leads everyone into the song and the gestures that go with it. There are also songs/chants when there are hits, homeruns, etc. Everyone participates and are really into it so makes the whole atmosphere very infectious. I was throwing my hands in the air and chanting/singing along with everyone even though I had no idea what I was saying.

 
 
This head cheerleader guy was incredible. I was waiting for this guy's voice to give out. 

Another interesting part of these games were the girls in skimpy outfits. I think in the States, the ball boys are usually middle school/high school kids, right? Or usually they're younger dudes, I think? Well the "ball boys" here were girls (probably late teens, early 20s) in belly shirts and teeny tiny shorts. 


 


 
And the girl cheerleaders.

 

This guy was hilarious. He was so into it, bellowing out all the chants and songs. And every time the cheerleaders came up on the stage behind us to dance, he would go, "OOOOOH!!"



 
Breakdancing mascots.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment