Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 83: 55 Steps

 

Last night I went to a musical called 55 steps. Although it wasn't so much a musical as it was a compilation of musical numbers from popular musicals interspersed with several dance numbers. Nonetheless, it was a great performance and really enjoyable to watch. All the songs were sung in Japanese but I knew a good number of them so it wasn't much of a problem. Some of the musicals they pulled from were Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, Little Mermaid, Cats, and Wicked, so really popular musicals. 

I think my favorite performance was their rendition of "Be My Guest" from Beauty and the Beast. Everyone was dressed in tuxes and there was a dance bit with canes that was just plain amazing.

Although I think what I enjoyed the most that night was watching my host sister react to the musical. It was so adorable - she was so into it, clapping with the rhythm and squealing excitedly when her favorite songs came up. I think she started crying in the middle of a Cats song and when "Music of the Night" was performed right after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment