Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 10 & 11

I'm pretty knackered so I'm going to keep this post as brief as possible, despite having a bit of material to cover.

First off, Himeji Castle. I'm getting the photos from my friend tomorrow so I'll post them up and talk about the trip tomorrow.

This weekend, my host family took me to Shirahama. It was very windy. And very cold.

This is the beach outside our hotel. I've never seen the water sooo blue~ Pity the weather was freezing.

We also went to look at the cherry blossoms. See all the pink? All cherry blossom trees.

This weekend also marks the first time I've went to an onsen, which is basically a public bath where you strip down to your birthday suit and bathe amongst your fellow 50 year-olds. Kay, they weren't all 50, but that doesn't make it any less a terrifying experience. I don't even think my own mother has seen me bare all since I was a kid. Now, my host mother and sister, who I've only known a week, and 20 other fine female strangers (and their children) can confirm that without any undergarment assistance and visual trickery that clothes can provide, that my ass is undeniably bigger than my bewbs in astronomical proportions.

Honestly though, once you see everyone strip down without a thought, it's pretty easy to get over yourself and do the same (it was for me, anyways). It was really, a very interesting experience. Earlier tonight, my host mother told me that they (my host family) love onsens. It made me shrink in my seat a little, but since I survived the first time, I feel like I can do it again. Huh. Wasn't I more self-conscious that this?? Maybe it's easier because it's amongst strangers, and so for me, their opinions matter less. 

 
Post-onsen.

Dinner at the hotel was a 10-course meal in a big tatami room. It was a very pretty meal that was very photo-worthy, and in a last minute decision before going to dinner, I didn't bring my camera. From now on, whenever in doubt, always, always bring the camera! So I did for breakfast, but it didn't look as great as dinner did.

 

On Sunday (today), we went to a zoo/amusement park called Adventure World. I'll post photos and details tomorrow. Last day of orientation is tomorrow and I have to wake up at 7am. Good night, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha awkward turtle!! they didn't wear towels or anything?! but sounds like it was a liberating experience. yumm food!

    have you found arashi yet. i'm waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! such an interesting experience! hahaha...still shock but it's ok. lol.

    oh and i wanted to see ur host bro. up close! haha..that crazy child. :)

    ReplyDelete