Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 31: Spanish Guitar

Yesterday I went to a Spanish Guitar concert that was organized by E's host mom. It was a very small concert at a very small venue, if you could even call it that. But it was very nice and very intimate.

 

He was incredibly talented and his fingers were strumming through the strings like they were water; it was very cool to watch up so close. Although I have to admit that I try to avoid these kind of events because classical music in general, tends to make me sleepy. Dim the lights and put me in a comfy chair and I'm a goner. Fortunately, the chair wasn't very comfortable but the music every once in a while would lull me into a doze; so every time I felt my lids getting heavy I had to fight to stay awake because the room was full of obaa-sans (grandmas) that were staring. Oh, I should explain.

E's host mom is pretty old, around her 50-60s I think. And so this venue mostly consisted of well-dressed, presumably rich obaa-sans, and five early 20-something ryuu-gakuseis (international students, read: us). Why yes, it was a bit awkward.

But that night was a pretty fun night as afterwards we ate dinner and went to an izakaya. I'll go more into detail next post. I'm trying to space out my stories over more posts just in case I have days where nothing special happens and I'll have to resort to taking pictures of my chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment